top of page
  • Writer's pictureMaine Baseball HOF

Hersey, Linwood (1998)

Hersey, Linwood (98)

“Lin” Hersey was inducted into the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame in a bedside ceremony at the Veterans’ Administration Hospital in Togus on January 21, 1998.

“Lin” was an outstanding baseball - as well as basketball - player whose academic and athletic careers touched innumerable bases.

Following graduation from Easton H.S. in 1952, he matriculated at the University of Maine Presque isle, UMOQO, and Ricker College.

in 1957, he signed a contract with the Boston Red Sox and played with the parent club's Corning Cor-Sox in the Class D,N.Y.-Penn. League.

His baseball career also embraced stints with the U.S. Army, Houlton Collegians and several seasons with the Presque Isle Indians in the Maine New Brunswick League, where he once hit .410. Peter Webb, who has chronicled Hersey’s career and to whom we are indebted, describes him as very versatile, usually an infielder but with a lot of catching and occasional outfield duties.

He was always a good hitter with some pop In nis Dat.

As a teacher-coach he served several Maine high schools and was an A.D. at the former Nasson College and Unity College.

Countless young schoolboys remember Mr. Hersey as a dedicated member of the staff of Dirigo Boys’ State.

for over 20 years “Lin” was a baseball umpire and IAABO basketball referee.

He Is Survived by his wife of 15 years, Inelma, a son, Scott of Portland and daughter, Beth of London, England.

Bangor Daily News

Easton’s Hersey dies at 63 . County native experienced success as athlete, coach, official

January 31, 1998 6:00 am

Linwood “Lin” Hersey, who had a long and successful career as an athlete, coach, official and administrator, died Tuesday at the U.S. Veterans Administration facility in Togus after an illness. He was 63.

Hersey, who recently was inducted into the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame, was a native of Easton. He reached the peak of his athletic career in the late 1950s, signing a minor-league contract in 1957 with the Boston Red Sox’ Corning Cor-Sox in the New York-Penn league.

After his career in the minors, Hersey returned to Maine, where he starred for semipro teams in the Maine-New Brunswick League.

Once his playing days were done, Hersey became a teacher and coached high school and college basketball and baseball, including a stint at the former Aroostook Classical Institute in Mars Hill. Later, he served as the athletic director at Unity College and at the former Nasson College in Springvale.

Hersey also drew on his experience, serving for 25 years as a member of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials and 20-plus years as a baseball umpire.

Hersey grew up in Easton, where he played baseball and basketball. The outfielder went on to play at the University of Maine, then competed during his service in the U.S. Army.

Hersey earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Maine-Presque Isle and received a master’s of education from the University of Maine.

Hersey is survived by his wife, Thelma Durgin Hersey of Gorham; a son, Scott Hersey of Gorham; a daughter, Beth Hersey of London; two stepsons, Roger Doucette and Wayne Doucette of Portland; and two stepdaughters, Marlene McDonald of Portland and Cindy Jacobsen of Gray.

21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page